});
$("#menuscontainer").click(function() {
    $(this).focus();
});
$("#menuscontainer").blur(function(){
    $(this).hide();
});

Works for me just fine.

Now there is a plugin for that: outside events (blog post)

The following happens when a clickoutside handler (WLOG) is bound to an element:

• the element is added to an array which holds all elements with clickoutside handlers
  • a (namespaced) click handler is bound to the document (if not already there)
  • on any click in the document, the clickoutside event is triggered for those elements in that array that are not equal to or a parent of the click-events target
  • additionally, the event.target for the clickoutside event is set to the element the user clicked on (so you even know what the user clicked, not just that he clicked outside)

So no events are stopped from propagation and additional click handlers may be used "above" the element with the outside-handler.

The event has a property called event.path of the element which is a "static ordered list of all its ancestors in tree order". To check if an event originated from a specific DOM element or one of its children, just check the path for that specific DOM element. It can also be used to check multiple elements by logically ORing the element check in the some function.

$("body").click(function() {
  target = document.getElementById("main");
  flag = event.path.some(function(el, i, arr) {
    return (el == target)
  })
  if (flag) {
    console.log("Inside")
  } else {
    console.log("Outside")
  }
});
#main {
  display: inline-block;
  background:yellow;
}
<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<div id="main">
  <ul>
    <li>Test-Main</li>
    <li>Test-Main</li>
    <li>Test-Main</li>
    <li>Test-Main</li>
    <li>Test-Main</li>
  </ul>
</div>
<div id="main2">
  Outside Main
</div>