JavaScript 中变量的作用域是什么?

javascript 中变量的作用域是什么? 它们在函数内部和外部具有相同的作用域吗? 或者它甚至重要吗? 另外,如果变量是全局定义的,它们存储在哪里?

Javascript uses scope chains to establish the scope for a given function. There is typically one global scope, and each function defined has its own nested scope. Any function defined within another function has a local scope which is linked to the outer function. It's always the position in the source that defines the scope.

An element in the scope chain is basically a Map with a pointer to its parent scope.

When resolving a variable, javascript starts at the innermost scope and searches outwards.

Variables declared globally have a global scope. Variables declared within a function are scoped to that function, and shadow global variables of the same name.

(I'm sure there are many subtleties that real JavaScript programmers will be able to point out in other answers. In particular I came across this page about what exactly this means at any time. Hopefully this more introductory link is enough to get you started though.)

The key, as I understand it, is that Javascript has function level scoping vs the more common C block scoping.

Here is a good article on the subject.

I found that many people new to JavaScript have trouble understanding that inheritance is available by default in the language and that function scope is the only scope, so far. I provided an extension to a beautifier I wrote at the end of last year called JSPretty. The feature colors function scope in the code and always associates a color to all variables declared in that scope. Closure is visually demonstrated when a variable with a color from one scope is used in a different scope.

Try the feature at:

See a demo at:

View the code at:

Currently the feature offers support for a depth of 16 nested functions, but currently does not color global variables.

Inline handlers

A very common issue not described yet that front-end coders often run into is the scope that is visible to an inline event handler in the HTML - for example, with

<button onclick="foo()"></button>

The scope of the variables that an on* attribute can reference must be either:

• global (working inline handlers almost always reference global variables)
  • a property of the document (eg, querySelector as a standalone variable will point to document.querySelector; rare)
  • a property of the element the handler is attached to (like above; rare)

Otherwise, you'll get a ReferenceError when the handler is invoked. So, for example, if the inline handler references a function which is defined inside window.onload or $(function() {, the reference will fail, because the inline handler may only reference variables in the global scope, and the function is not global:

window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', () => {
  function foo() {
    console.log('foo running');
  }
});
<button onclick="foo()">click</button>

Properties of the document and properties of the element the handler is attached to may also be referenced as standalone variables inside inline handlers because inline handlers are invoked inside of two with blocks, one for the document, one for the element. The scope chain of variables inside these handlers is extremely unintuitive, and a working event handler will probably require a function to be global (and unnecessary global pollution should probably be avoided).

Since the scope chain inside inline handlers is so weird, and since inline handlers require global pollution to work, and since inline handlers sometimes require ugly string escaping when passing arguments, it's probably easier to avoid them. Instead, attach event handlers using Javascript (like with addEventListener), rather than with HTML markup.

function foo() {
  console.log('foo running');
}
document.querySelector('.my-button').addEventListener('click', foo);
<button class="my-button">click</button>

Modules (<script type="module">)

On a different note, unlike normal <script> tags, which run on the top level, code inside ES6 modules runs in its own private scope. A variable defined at the top of a normal <script> tag is global, so you can reference it in other <script> tags, like this:

<script>
const foo = 'foo';
</script>
<script>
console.log(foo);
</script>

But the top level of an ES6 module is not global. A variable declared at the top of an ES6 module will only be visible inside that module, unless the variable is explicitly exported, or unless it's assigned to a property of the global object.

<script type="module">
const foo = 'foo';
</script>
<script>
// Can't access foo here, because the other script is a module
console.log(typeof foo);
</script>

The top level of an ES6 module is similar to that of the inside of an IIFE on the top level in a normal <script>. The module can reference any variables which are global, and nothing can reference anything inside the module unless the module is explicitly designed for it.

There are ALMOST only two types of JavaScript scopes:

• the scope of each var declaration is associated with the most immediately enclosing function
  • if there is no enclosing function for a var declaration, it is global scope

So, any blocks other than functions do not create a new scope. That explains why for-loops overwrite outer scoped variables:

var i = 10, v = 10;
for (var i = 0; i < 5; i++) { var v = 5; }
console.log(i, v);
// output 5 5

Using functions instead:

var i = 10, v = 10;
$.each([0, 1, 2, 3, 4], function(i) { var v = 5; });
console.log(i,v);
// output 10 10

In the first example, there was no block scope, so the initially declared variables were overwritten. In the second example, there was a new scope due to the function, so the initially declared variables were SHADOWED, and not overwritten.

That's almost all you need to know in terms of JavaScript scoping, except:

So you can see JavaScript scoping is actually extremely simple, albeit not always intuitive. A few things to be aware of:

• var declarations are hoisted to the top of the scope. This means no matter where the var declaration happens, to the compiler it is as if the var itself happens at the top
  • multiple var declarations within the same scope are combined

So this code:

var i = 1;
function abc() {
  i = 2;
  var i = 3;
}
console.log(i);     // outputs 1

is equivalent to:

var i = 1;
function abc() {
  var i;     // var declaration moved to the top of the scope
  i = 2;
  i = 3;     // the assignment stays where it is
}
console.log(i);

This may seem counter intuitive, but it makes sense from the perspective of a imperative language designer.

Try this curious example. In the example below if a were a numeric initialized at 0, you'd see 0 and then 1. Except a is an object and javascript will pass f1 a pointer of a rather than a copy of it. The result is that you get the same alert both times.

var a = new Date();
function f1(b)
{
    b.setDate(b.getDate()+1);
    alert(b.getDate());
}
f1(a);
alert(a.getDate());
</div>